Rethinking Cities: Framing the Future
Organiser: World Bank
You are invited to join leading urban researchers, policymakers and practitioners at the 6th Urban Research and Knowledge Symposium (URKS6) in Barcelona, Spain on October 8-10 2012 to discuss the key question of: How to make policy choices under resource constraints and uncertainty today that will minimize lock-in and path dependency at later stages of development?
Through a series of plenary and moderated panel discussions, URKS6 aims to inform policy choices that can help policymakers manage potential economic efficiency, environmental sustainability and social equity trade-offs associated with urbanization.
Confirmed keynote speakers include:
· Edward Glaeser, Professor, Harvard University, USA
· Alain Bertaud, Urban Planner and former Principal Urban Planner, The World Bank
· Alexander Galetovic, Professor of Economics, Universidad de los Andes, Santiago, Chile
· Michael Keith, Professor, Director, COMPASS, University of Oxford, UK
· Matthew Kahn, Professor, UCLA, USA
· Stephen Malpezzi, Lorin and Marjorie Tiefenthaler Professor of Real Estate, University of Wisconsin, USA
· Saskia Sassen, Robert S Lynd Professor of Sociology, Co-chair Committee on Global Thought, Columbia University, USA
· Tony Venables, BP Professor of Economics, Director of OxCarre, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, UK
· Esteban Rossi-Hansberg, Princeton University, USA
· Ricky Burdett, LSE Cities and Urban Age Institute, UK
They will be joined by Mayors and Governors from various cities around the world, international organizations including OECD, World Bank, IFC, UN-HABITAT, leading private sector urban practitioners including Microsoft, McKinsey & Company, Siemens, among others, as well as researchers from developing and developed countries.
How to attend:
The full program agenda is nearing final, and can be viewed here: www.rethinkingcities.org/
General registration is now open until September 28, 2012.